Welcome to IMAGE 3.0 Documentation
IMAGE is an Integrated Model to Assess the Global Environment.
The IMAGE modelling framework has been developed by the IMAGE team under the authority of PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency. IMAGE is documented on this website (including updates) and in the IMAGE 3.0 book. In 2014, IMAGE has been reviewed by an international advisory board (International review of IMAGE3.0). The development strategy for the period 2015-2020 is elaborated in the IMAGE strategy document.
What is IMAGE?
IMAGE is an ecological-environmental model framework that simulates the environmental consequences of human activities worldwide. It represents interactions between society, the biosphere and the climate system to assess sustainability issues such as climate change, biodiversity and human well-being. The objective of the IMAGE model is to explore the long-term dynamics and impacts of global changes that result from interacting socio-economic and environmental factors.
Below, we briefly indicate some of the information available on this website.
To become acquainted with the IMAGE framework:
- Introduction to the framework and Integrated Assessment Modelling.
- Framework summary of drivers, models, impacts and policy responses.
- Climate policy, Air pollution and energy policies and Land and biodiversity policies comprise the policy response components.
- Policy interventions overview provides access to the Policy issues pages of the models.
- Projects/applications overview links to projects in which the IMAGE framework has been applied.
- Model components overview links to all components (e.g. drivers, core models, impact models and policy responses).
- Data flow overview links to the input/output of all components.
Availability of data results
- All scenario data (>200 indicators) for major projects are available for download and for viewing in a User Support System (USS)The Download page explains how to download and use the USS for IMAGE scenarios. USS is a viewer showing the scenario indicators (>200) of a number of projects.
- At IIASA (RCP Database (version 2.0)) the IMAGE scenario results are part of the database of Integrated Assessment scenarios. At this website many indicators can be viewed and compared.
Availability of models
The IMAGE 3.0 book
The contents of this website originates from the IMAGE 3.0 book. The website extends and actualises all information on the IMAGE framework.